Marina di Carrara is an elegant and refined seaside resort, known for its summer holiday and for the annual Marmotec marble fair. Known in the past as Marina di Avenza, it was built in the eighteenth century by the will of Duke Francesco 3° of Modena. Instead it was the English industrialist Guglielmo Walton who, in 1851, had the first large pre-port structure designed and built, which allowed, finally, the quite easy docking of the ships. The town is faced by a large sandy beach, mostly divided between private bathing establishments. There are numerous services for the practice of water sports from sailing to boat hire.